What is CrossFit?
Video | What is CrossFit?
CrossFit in a Nutshell
CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.
Our program delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Our specialty is not specializing. Combat, survival, many sports, and life reward this kind of fitness and, on average, punish the specialist.
The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We've used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don't change programs.
The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. Our terrorist hunters, skiers, mountain bike riders and housewives have found their best fitness from the same regimen.
For more information behind the success of CrossFit, click here or on the CrossFit Journal link at the side of your screen to visit the CrossFit Journal. The Journal is designed to support the CrossFit community by giving detailed information on the theory and techniques of CrossFit.
What is a WOD?
Once you walk into the box at CrossFit Metro 361, you will hear a lot about WODs - and more than likely you will be completely confused on what that is. In order to avoid total confusion when you walk into the gym, we are going to give you a brief explanation and example to keep you on the right track.
WOD stands for workout of the day. Each day, we will write the workouts on the wall that need to be completed as well as the amount of reps or weight. For example, the workout may include a 400m Run (warm-up), 1 Box Jump, 1 Pull Up, 1 Box Jump, 3 Pull Ups, 1 Box Jump, and 5 Pull Ups. Then repeat that as many rounds as possible within 25 minutes.
That was just one example. There is a never-ending amount of different variations and workouts that you may be asked to complete. Some days you may focus more on endurance, others on strength - but rest assured every facet of fitness will be covered.
Types of Workouts
At CrossFit Metro 361, we combine many methods of training in order to enhance your overall physical ability. Our workouts are comprised of constantly varied movements including pushing, squatting, pulling, running, rowing, and lifting. Each workout is scalable to your current fitness level - but we will push you to consistently increase your load and intensity in order to achieve the best results.
Our ultimate goal for all our CrossFitters is to enhance all ten general physical skills:
- Cardio Endurance
View demonstrations of the workouts we implement at CrossFit Metro 361!
Is CrossFit for You?
When you commit to CrossFit, your definition of the word "Fit" will change - drastically. Through the variety of workouts and the focus on intensity, you will realize that being in shape means more than eating "healthy" and going for a brisk walk every morning. CrossFit is the real deal and will change your life for the better. Just take a look at our testimonials!
Here are a few reasons CrossFit is right for you:
- CrossFit is for everyone. All the workouts are scalable to your fitness level, so you will never be left behind. We have CrossFitters who are students, military, executives, police officers, stay-at-home moms, elite athletes, fire fighters, and teachers - and they all do the same workouts.
- You can't use the "I Don't Have Time" excuse. CrossFit is great for people who are on the go because the workouts typically only last from 10-30 minutes.
- CrossFit mixes up the routine, so you never get tired of the same old workout. Your muscles are constantly confused which impacts your overall results for the better.
- At CrossFit Metro 361, you will be in a supportive, welcoming environment. The coaches and other students are with you every step of the way pushing you to become a faster, stronger, more confident CrossFitter. Everyone is equipped for success - and everyone achieves it.
- You achieve real results! Now keep in mind that it won't be easy. You will have to be committed and ready for day-to-day challenges. But you will be rewarded with the most amazing physical results you have ever achieved!
At CrossFit Metro 361, we focus on changing your life for the better. We will always be there to help you focus on you. If you are ready to achieve real results through hard work and commitment, then come by the box and we will equip you with the knowledge, tools, and advice on how to achieve your elite fitness.